Aloha! Rock your BBQ with these Hawaiian inspired recipes
Grilling with a Tropical Twist
Summer is the best time to plan the perfect barbecue. Gather your friends, head outdoors and fire up the grill. These BBQ recipes are traditional summer favorites with a tropical twist!
Hawaiian BBQ Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup barbeque sauce
1 cup pineapple juice
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp garlic
1/4 cup oil
1. In a bowl, whisk together barbeque sauce, pineapple juice, soy sauce and garlic. Pour half of the mixture into a large resealable bag.
2. Add oil and chicken to the bag, seal and chill for 30 minutes up to overnight. Cover remaining sauce mixture and chill until ready to use.
3. Remove chicken from bag and discard bag and marinade. Grill chicken breasts on preheated grill about 8-10 minutes on each side or until thoroughly cooked.
4. Brush chicken with remaining sauce and serve with rice and grilled pineapple slices.
- 2 cups chopped slaw
- 1 cup mango chopped
- 3 green onions
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
1. In a small bowl mix together ginger, vinegars, oil, garlic powder, lime juice and sesame seeds. Cover and refrigerate for 30 mins.
2. In a large bowl mix slaw mixture, mango and scallions.
3. Toss with dressing mixture just before serving.
Pineapple Coconut Rice
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 1 can (8 oz) pineapple slices
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
1. Cook rice according to package directions.
2. Grill pineapple on grill or pan until charred. Chop grilled pineapple and green onions.
3. Toss pineapple, onions and coconut with rice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pineapple Inspired Cocktails
Even if a Hawaiian vacation isn’t in your travel plans this year, consider making one of these tropical cocktails at home. The flavors of coconut and pineapple will transport you somewhere sunny and relaxing. They are all refreshing and perfect for summer!
- 1 oz coconut rum
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- 1 oz Blue Curacao
- pineapple juice
- 2 oz vodka
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- 1 oz lime juice
- 1/2 cup ginger beer
1. Fill glass with ice.
2. Pour rum, pineapple juice and Blue Curacao over ice.
3. Stir well.
4. Garnish with pineapple and enjoy!
1. Fill champagne flutes half full with chilled sparkling wine.
2. Top with pineapple juice.
1. Fill a copper mug with ice.
2. Pour vodka, ginger beer, pineapple juice and lime juice over ice.
3. Gently stir and enjoy!
This is a guest post from fellow Twist Traveler, Zoey Goto. Zoey is a London based journalist (GQ, GQ Style, Elle, Escapism magazine) and author of the book Elvis Style: From Zoot Suits to Jumpsuits. She lives in central London with her husband and their two young daughters. We invite guest authors to post travel-inspired stories on the Twist Blog monthly. If you are interested in sharing your travels at home and abroad with us, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org