Fall Recipes that will make your mouth water!
When temperatures start to cool off, it is time to heat things up in the kitchen. We love healthy dishes that don’t require a ton of time to make and ones that are crowd pleasers for the entire family! Try this simple sausage, vegetable and apple sheet pan dinner for busy weeknights, wow your friends at the next potluck with this twist on bruschetta using butternut squash and apples or gift a hard-working teacher this delicious pumpkin bread with coconut frosting!
12 oz smoked turkey sausage, sliced into 1/3 inch thick slices
16 oz sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
16 oz brussel sprouts, halved
1/2 medium red onion, diced into chunks
2 crisp baking apples, cored and diced
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp chopped parsley (divided)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Add sausage, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, apples and onion to sheet pan.
3. Drizzle everything with olive oil, sprinkle with 1 tbsp parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat.
4. Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove and toss.
5. Return to oven and continue to roast until vegetables and apples are tender, about 15-20 minutes longer.
6. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
2 cups diced butternut squash
1 cup diced apples
4 tbsp olive oil (divided)
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg and ¼ tsp allspice
1 tsp salt (divided) and 1 tsp black pepper (divided)
8 slices french bread
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 tbsp balsamic glaze
1. Preheat the oven to 425° F.
2. Toss the butternut squash and apples with 2 tbsp olive oil, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp black pepper.
3. Place evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
4. While the squash and apples are roasting, brush the sliced bread with 2 tbsp olive oil. Set aside.
5. Combine the ricotta cheese with the remaining ½ tsp black pepper and salt.
6. Place the slices of bread into the oven for 4-5 minutes, or until toasted.
7. Remove the bread from the oven and top with the ricotta cheese, roasted squash and apple mix. Drizzle with the balsamic glaze.
3 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 16-ounce can of pumpkin
3 cups plain flour, unsifted
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1. Mix first four ingredients well.
2. Add dry ingredients and spices.
3. Mix thoroughly.
4. Divide mixture among three loaf pans, which have been greased and floured.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min.
1 1/2 unsalted butter, softened
5 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/8 tsp salt
6 tbsp canned coconut milk
1. Using a handheld mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, or about 5 minutes.
2. Add 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar; beat on medium to low speed until most of the sugar is moistened. Gradually add in the remaining sugar, one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
3. Add salt and coconut milk and beat on medium speed until fully mixed.
To finish this dessert, microwave 1 cup of coconut icing for 30 seconds and drizzle over cooled bread. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
Andrea Fellman is the co-founder and editor-in-chief of Twist Travel Magazine. She is a stylish nomad and expat mom living in Barcelona with her husband, two kids and a dog! She blogs about family travel, expat life, and her online business adventures at Wanderlust Living.
Shop Twist Travel Magazine
Purchase print copies of single issues or subscribe and save!