Have you ever dreamt about visiting the Palace of Versailles with kids? Do you like to imagine what life was like for the infamous Marie Antoinette before she lost her head? If you do, you won’t want to miss out on one of the easiest day trips from Paris with kids. Start planning early, book a tour, or experience it for yourself. No matter how you see Versailles, you won’t be sorry you made the time to do it.
Table of Contents
- 1 Explore the Palace of Versailles early or late in the day
- 2 Don’t skip the grounds of Versailles with Kids
- 3 Pack a picnic to eat in the Park of Versailles with kids
- 4 Hop on a Versailles bike tour
- 5 Bring snacks
- 6 Paris Destination Guide
Explore the Palace of Versailles early or late in the day
Versailles can get very crowded, very quickly, especially in the summer months. Head out first thing in the morning to explore the Palace of Versailles with kids, or plan on checking out the interior of this palace later in the day. Tour buses pull in by the dozens, even on the off season. Getting to Versailles early with your kids will take a lot of the headache out of your day.
Don’t skip the grounds of Versailles with Kids
If you want to escape the crowds, head into the gardens and grounds of the Park of Versailles. There is no charge to wander around the park, only to enter the palace and the gardens closest to the palace. On weekends you will find many local families taking a run, playing or biking through the park. If your kids are dying to see other children their own age, the weekend is the time to visit, but you will also get more crowds in the Palace of Versailles with kids during this time.
Pack a picnic to eat in the Park of Versailles with kids
There is no need to leave the natural ambiance that the Park of Versailles provides when exploring with your kids. After you exit the train station, walk to the local market in the town of Versailles to load up on fresh bread, cheese, meats, produce, wine, and sweets to create the perfect picnic. Find a nice patch of grass in the Park of Versailles, and enjoy your meal. We loved munching along the Grand Canal of Versailles where the kids could run around and chat with the ducks, while we laid back in the grass and relaxed after a meal.
Hop on a Versailles bike tour
If you really want to experience Versailles with kids, you will want to book the Fat Tire Paris Versailles Bike Tour. My family and I did this on our first trip to Paris and it is by far my favorite memory from the trip. Not only do you have ample time to see the Palace of Versailles with kids, but you get to bike around the grounds, seeing more of the Park of Versailles than any other tourist who made the daytrip out.
If you have kids, you already know not to go anywhere without snacks. Versailles with kids is no exception. The Palace is huge. The grounds are even larger. If you want to get the most out of your time in Versailles, you need to pack a few snacks and beverages. You cannot eat inside the Palace of Versailles (heaven forbid you get crumbs on any of those antiques!), but you can step out into the garden to console your tired toddler with a squeeze pack of apple sauce or Larabar at any time.
Have you been to the Palace of Versailles with Kids?
Paris Destination Guide
- Hotel Du Printemps: Gorgeous boutique hotel with free Wi-Fi, paid private parking, and a bar/lounge.
- B Montmartre Hotel: Close to the famous Moulin Rouge, this hotel features laundry service, airport transportation and free Wi-Fi.
- Novotel Paris Les Halles: Four star hotel in the center of Paris. This hotel features a children’s playground, nightclub (with DJ!), walking tours, and free Wi-Fi.
- Cozy Studio: Sleeps 2 guests in 1 bedroom + 1 bath.
- Luxury Apartment in Heart of Paris: 2 guests in 1 bedroom + 1 bath.
- Center of Paris Apartment: Sleeps 4 in 1 bedroom + 1 bath.